Lisa Levine is a leading Fort Lauderdale surgical malpractice lawyer with extensive experience in representing victims of negligent surgical errors and other acts of medical malpractice.
If you or a loved one was injured or died as a result of a surgical error, you may be able to seek compensation for the damages resulting from this mistake by filing a surgical malpractice lawsuit.
What is Surgical Malpractice?
Surgeons, like all healthcare professionals, owe their patients a certain level of professional care. Surgery malpractice occurs when a surgeon is negligent in delivering this professional level of care and the patient is harmed as a result.
To be successful, a surgical procedure demands care, skill and accuracy on the part of the surgeon. Any mistake, no matter how slight, can have devastating results for the patient. However, there is no such thing as a risk-free surgical procedure. And not all surgical procedures have a successful outcome. For instance, having a tumor surgically removed does not necessarily mean your cancer has been cured.
Surgical errors that may lead to a malpractice claim include:
- Not performing procedure in a proper period of time
- Using treatment that is not considered the standard
- Performing a surgical procedure on the wrong patient
- Performing the wrong surgical procedure
- Leaving a foreign object inside a patient
- Performing surgery or other invasive procedure on the wrong site (for instance, a patient’s right leg was supposed to be amputated, but the left leg was amputated by mistake)
- Performing a surgical procedure in a non-sterile environment
- Performing a surgical procedure with contaminated instruments or defective equipment
- Performing a surgical procedure without the proper training or certification
- Performing a surgical procedure while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Compensation for Surgery Malpractice Damages
If you have been injured as a result of a negligent surgical error, you should seek out qualified legal representation by an experienced surgery malpractice attorney as soon as you become aware of the surgeon’s error. The sooner an attorney gets to work on a case, the better the chances of a favorable outcome.
Depending on the circumstances in your case, you may be able to recover compensation for present and future medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment of life, or wrongful death.
Malpractice cases, especially those involving surgical errors present many challenges. In Florida, a plaintiff has the burden of proof in a malpractice case. In order to prevail, they must be able to show that:
- A patient/doctor relationship existed;
- The doctor was negligent in the level of care they provided;
- Their negligence was responsible for your injuries;
- You suffered damages as a result of these injuries.
You need a medical malpractice attorney on your side who not only knows the law, but how to gather the evidence — medical records, expert testimony, etc. — that will be needed to support your claim.
Speak to a Fort Lauderdale Surgical Malpractice Lawyer
There are many medical malpractice attorneys in Florida, but few possess the knowledge, skills and experience Lisa Levine brings to the table.
Lisa Levine is a nationally recognized personal injury attorney who has recovered millions of dollars in settlements for clients injured due to negligent surgical errors and other acts of medical malpractice.
A few of these settlements include $2.5 million for a woman who developed Cauda Equina Syndrome as a result of an intraoperative injury to her spine’ $1.5 million for a woman who was injured as a result of an unnecessary hysterectomy procedure; and $1.5 million for a man who suffered nerve damage after botched back surgery.
For more than 35 years, surgical malpractice lawyer Lisa Levine has helped clients in Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Weston, Pembroke Pines, Hollywood FL, Sunrise, Pompano Beach and other Broward County and Florida communities obtain the resources they need to rebuild their lives after a needless tragedy. If you’ve been injured due to a doctor’s surgical error or other medical error, reach out to the law offices of Lisa Levine without delay.
Florida law places statutes of limitation on the time in which you can take legal action. If you wait too long, the courts may refuse to hear your case.
We handle our surgery malpractice and other cases on a contingency basis, which means there are no upfront costs to our clients and you only pay a lawyer’s fee after we secure your settlement.